Hoping Man

Monday, December 11, 2006

Free Long Distance



I know some will scoff and say this is old news, but I've just discovered Skype. I'd been told about ways to call people long distance for free over the internet, but I figured it would be complicated or require a really fast connection. Not so on either count! Just download the free software from the website, install it, and you're ready! You do need speakers and a microphone as well. I bought a microphone for $17.99 and it works great. And as for internet connection speed, I have ultra light DSL (128 kbps). The call quality isn't as good as a normal phone, but it's not bad.

3 Comments:

  • Can't wait until you use it to call me...and it works!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:31 PM  

  • This sounds like a scam. You probably have hundreds of spyware programs watching everything you do now... even in the bathroom...

    By Blogger Robert, at 12:26 AM  

  • I used Skype to call Tara at home (while I was in China) and we used it to call my folks while they were in Morocco.

    The sound quality across the ocean wasn't the best, but it was only marginally worse than land lines.

    Now that my folks are in Ottawa the sound and video quality is much better. Yes, video quality - pretty cool.

    Computer-to-Computer communication is free. Very nice - we use it all the time.

    By Blogger Richard Siemens, at 10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home