Hoping Man

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Tim Horton's Madness

First let me say that I like Tim Horton's. It is what it is. If you want decent coffee and a donut or sandwich I would highly recommend it. But let's be reasonable, folks. This morning on a nice Saturday morning drive I had a hankering for some coffee. I tried two different Tim Horton's locations and both were jammed with walk-in and drive-thru customers. I really don't get it. I realize we're in the middle of the annual Roll-Up-The-Rim-To-Win campaign, but it astounds me that so many people are willing to wait in huge lines at so many locations for - get ready for it - mediocre coffee. The crazy thing is that I'm guessing many of those people made a trip just to get coffee and go home. [I can't really criticize that last part because I've done the same thing.] I haven't done the math, but I'm sure that the cost of most people's current coffee buying habits would allow them to purchase a top-of-the-line coffee maker and premium beans for home. They'd save money and drink better coffee. Out of protest (and perhaps a little impatience) I went to City Cafe Bakery for my java. This is what a coffee shop should be. Local, unique, and convenient.

On a related note, I've been thinking that a certain corner near my home could use a coffee shop. Perhaps I should do my part to improve the coffee landscape and open one myself. Hmm...

1 Comments:

  • I pass a single Timmies on the way to work. When I first moved to my new place (5 months ago) I thought it would be handly in the mornings. Problem is, every morning the line-ups are discouragingly long... EVERY morning. I haven't stopped in there yet. What a pain. Too bad the City Cafe is so far out of the way...

    By Blogger Robert, at 11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home